When you boost your productivity, not only do you get more work done, but you can also do it quicker, freeing up more time for you to do the things you really want to do!
Try these tips to help you take control of your day and accomplish more:
- Set a goal for each day
- Make a schedule – with deadlines – for your tasks
- Keep a daily to-do list. Cross off tasks as they’re completed.
- If a task doesn’t really need to be done, just get rid of it altogether
- Batch similar tasks together
- Learn to say no to requests for tasks that would impede on your priorities
- Delegate some of your work
- Do the unpleasant items quickly and as early in the day as possible
- Slow down. Rushing causes mistakes and actually slows your productivity.
- Leave only icons for work programs on your computer desktop
- Avoid social networking sites during work hours, unless you use them for work
- Color-code your paper files and folders
- Take a 2-5 minute “micro nap.” Rest your head and close your eyes.
- Organize your electronic files and folders so you know where everything is
- Use keyboard shortcuts whenever you can
- Schedule your most critical tasks for your most effective time of the day
- Communicate clearly with clients, bosses, and colleagues
- Use a planner faithfully
- Search for add-ons for your browser that can speed up your Internet tasks
- Take breaks to relax and refresh your mind and body
- Use stress-reducing techniques each day to keep stress to a minimum
- Keep work and personal email separate. Access only work email when working.
- Limit emails to 5 sentences: who, what, where, when, and why
- Clear clutter from your desk
- Beat procrastination and get started right away on the task at hand
- Try doing everything a little faster. Walk, talk, type, and read faster.
- Avoid trying to multi-task
- Focus hard on being productive for 30 minutes at a time. Set a timer.
- Help motivate yourself with your favorite quotes
- Focus on the appropriate task—personal or work-related—at the appropriate time
- Put on headphones to avoid distracting noises. Listen to music if it helps you.
- Focus on the tasks that will accomplish the most
- Ask for help
- Leave your desk clean at the end of each day
Intelligent Planning + Focused Efforts = Productivity
I hope you find this list helpful on your journey to becoming more productive. Keep track of your results and enjoy the small victories each day. Becoming more productive can completely transform your life.