We all have days that are considerably more challenging and stressful than others. It’s important to develop some techniques that help you relieve stress and strengthen your self-soothing abilities.
When you’re struggling to stay calm, relaxed, and focused, try some of these strategies:
- Sit outside. Find a relaxing spot with pleasant scenery. Pay attention to what’s going on around you and keep your mind off your challenges.
- Take a nap. What happened before your nap is in the past! Now you can deal with it and move on.
- Breathe deeply. Breathe in for 5 seconds; hold it for 5 seconds. Now exhale for 5 seconds. Do this 10 times and focus only on your breathing. These breaths should only be slightly larger in volume than a normal, relaxed breath.
- Practice the breathing technique above during a walk, focusing on your breathing, walking, and surroundings
- Take a day off and lose yourself in activities that you enjoy
- Get some exercise
- Listen to music. Don’t be afraid to sing along or get up and dance.
- Hang out with people that are fun. It’s easy to get caught up in our own little world. Being with others can jolt you out of that perspective.
- Read something fascinating to take your mind off your troubles
- Turn off everything that connects you to the outside world so you can really relax
Let’s work together – contact us: (949) 415-6591