There is no doubt that we want to accomplish more in our lifetime than ever before. We may have lofty career aspirations, family responsibilities or personal goals that constantly loom over us. Most of all, we have the intense desire to balance and juggle all responsibilities.
It may seem impossible, but with the proper set of tools and practice, you can manage your time so you can get more done and enjoy more time with your family and friends. It all boils down to time management.
Evaluating Your Time
The first thing you need to do when trying to get more done is to evaluate how you use your time. Everything you do in the course of your day consumes time, so figure out what’s most important and what can be snipped from your day. From there, try these 5 time management tips to get more done:
- Eliminate the time wasters so you can spend more time on the things that really matter in your day.
- Multitask where you can. If you’re running errands, try to organize your trip so you can get it all done at once instead of several (gas-guzzling) trips.
- Don’t procrastinate under any circumstances. Procrastinating can really get you into trouble and suck up time from something that really needs to get done.
- Never be afraid to ask for help. Many of us are independent, which can be a good thing, but it’s okay to ask your spouse or family to help with something. Teamwork and delegation will help all of you to get more done faster than ever.
- Create a schedule and stick to it. Schedules help keep you on track and set a pace for you to follow.
Spending Quality Time With Your Family
Once you begin to better organize and manage your time, you’ll naturally create more time to spend with your partner and kids, so now you’ll have to come up with fun activities that you can all really enjoy together. Here are some ideas to help you have more fun with the family:
- Have a game night where the entire family plays board games, activities or watches a movie together, as a family.
- Arrange a weekend trip to somewhere fun for the entire family. Perhaps it’s an amusement park, zoo, water park, or something fun and educational. The time away will recharge your body and mind and bring you closer to your family.
- Have an arts and crafts night. Perhaps you can make a scrapbook together and allow everyone to include their own memories into the book, or you can pick up a painting or sculpting kit and design something together.
- Reward the kids for good grades or good behavior by having a theater night on the weekends. Take the kids to a movie they want to see that is appropriate for their age group and enjoy movie theater popcorn and soda together. Not only is it relaxing, but it’s a positive reward for a week of hard work.
- Simply play with them. Kids love it when their parents join them in their imaginary world, so revert back to your childhood and be one of the kids. If they’re a little older, perhaps you can play sports or other activities together.
Building a Better Quality of Life
By managing your time better, you’ll not only get more done, but you’ll be able to spend more time with your family and recharge your batteries. It’s so important to spend quality time with your loved ones because family memories are the real memories that you’ll treasure forever.